Automatica 2023: Three Trends in the Robotics Industry
The field of robotics is rapidly transforming industries such as manufacturing, logistics, and retail. Based on an exclusive interview with Stefan Drakensjö, VP of Marketing and Sales, General Industries at ABB Robotics, during the Automatica Fair in Munich, we break down current trends in the robotics industry.
The Transformation and Major Trends in Robotics
The robotics industry is undergoing a significant transformation, with automation and robotics becoming increasingly prevalent in various sectors. Drakensjö highlights some of the major trends observed in the industry:
- Sustainability: Companies across industries are prioritizing sustainability, and robotics plays a crucial role in achieving sustainable practices both in manufacturing and consumption.
- Uncertainty: Recent years have been marked by significant uncertainty, driven by macroeconomic disruptions in sectors like electric vehicles and logistics. This uncertainty poses challenges for businesses of all sizes.
- Labor and Skills: The scarcity of labor and the need for specific skills are driving the adoption of robotics. Automation helps companies overcome labor shortages and attract younger employees to industries like manufacturing by offering rewarding and technologically advanced work environments.
The Importance of Education and Academia
There is significant value in the collaboration between industry, academia, and policymakers in developing and enhancing education to incorporate robotics, technology, digitization, and automation. To bridge the gap between industry needs and educational programs, ABB Robotics undertakes several initiatives:
- Partnerships: Collaborating with ecosystem partners, academia, and educators across educational institutions, building relationships and addressing the need for robotics education.
- Software Solutions: Offering state-of-the-art software solutions that simulate and program robotics installations. These tools enable educators and students to learn and understand the intricacies of robotics effectively.
- Education Packages: Launched an education package combining hardware, software, videos, tutorials, exams, and certifications. This comprehensive package equips educators and students with the necessary resources to incorporate robotics into their curriculum seamlessly.
The Outlook for Robotics Adoption
The future of robotics adoption holds immense potential for growth and development. The survey conducted by ABB Robotics indicates that a significant number of European and American companies plan to reshore or nearshore their operations, with automation playing a crucial role in these plans. The statistics also reveal a strong demand for robotics solutions across various industries.
The potential for robotics adoption extends beyond large corporations. Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) have a significant opportunity to enhance their competitiveness through automation. To support SMEs, it is crucial to lower barriers and provide educational resources for the adoption of robotics technologies.
With the rapid pace of technological advancements, the robotics industry faces a daunting responsibility to develop cutting-edge solutions that are accessible and understandable to a wider audience – and make sure their sellers and marketers are able to communicate their competitive value.
Robotics is revolutionizing industries, transforming work processes, and driving innovation. The adoption of robotics technologies is driven by trends such as sustainability, uncertainty, and the need for labor and skills. There’s a vital role of education and academia in preparing the future workforce for the digital age.
Through collaborations with educators and the provision of comprehensive software and hardware solutions, educators and students are empowered to embrace robotics in their educational programs. As the demand for reshoring and nearshoring operations grows, both large corporations and SMEs have promising opportunities for robotics adoption.
In this evolving landscape, it is crucial to ensure that the benefits of automation are accessible to all and that the workforce is equipped with the skills required for success. Robotics companies need to actively contribute to this transition, driving innovation and making robotics more accessible to a broader audience.